University Committee for the Advancement of Women and Gender Equity
The University Committee for the Advancement of Women and Gender Equity (UCW) is a diverse group of women from across the Iowa State University campus. The UCW is an active and involved network that responds actively to women's issues including monitoring and improving the number of women in leadership positions at ISU, with special attention to the need for more women department chairs, and also continuing work to improve the climate on campus for women students, staff and faculty.
Mission, Goals and History
The UCW works to promote a university climate that fosters the full participation of women faculty, staff and students. The committee concerns itself with policies and practices that may cause particular difficulties for women as employees and students.
The goals of the UCW include the following points:
- Represent the interests and concerns of all women in the university community.
- Advise the university administration on issues affecting women faculty, staff, and students.
- Assist women in mentoring and networking opportunities.
- Monitor the institution's performance in regard to representation and advancement of women.
- Promote a supportive learning and working environment for women.
- Assist and advocate in the development of policies and practices that promote the equitable participation and treatment of women employees and students.
- Participate in recruitment and selection processes for leadership positions across the university and within the colleges.
- Governance Document
- History of Women at ISU