The Division of Diversity and Inclusion is committed to the full participation of ISU community members who hold diverse gender and sexual identities in support of ISU’s efforts to develop and sustain a more comprehensively inclusive environment aligned with the university’s strategic plan.
Gender and Sexual Diversity Initiatives (GSDI) within the Office of Diversity and Inclusion exists to address matters that are important to the LGBTQ+ community and is the touchpoint for community members who would like to engage in work around topics of gender and sexual diversity.
GSDI is involved in a number of ongoing projects on campus, in the Ames area, and throughout Iowa. They include:
- Centering healthcare in Ames for people who are transgender
- Inclusive restrooms / facilities on campus
- More robust campus information systems
- Pronoun Project
- Collaboration with Ames Pride non-profit organization
- Consulting with and presenting at Iowa Safe Schools Queer College Conference
- Connecting with future Cyclones annually at the Iowa Safe Schools conference on LGBTQ youth
- 2019 Matthew Shepard Scholarship dinner sponsorship
Future projects include:
- Development of University Committee on Gender and Sexual Diversity Initiatives
- Consulting with ISU Extension and Outreach LGBTQ champions group
- Creation of Pride Summit - Ames
- Publications on LGBTQ+ history at ISU and in Ames